The Adventurer's Guild: You need it, we get it!
Job #1 Track down a thief that stole two crates of silver from the mines early this morning.
What we know:
- 2 crates (3×3×3) full of silver were stolen from the mines storage building sometime last night early this morning. It was reported to the Merchants Guild a little after dawn.
- The crates weigh about 300lbs each so they were most likely removed via cart, or a couple of large people.
- Nobody was hurt at the mines, including the security.
- The security that was on guard is currently held for questioning.
- So far they claim they didn’t hear anything or notice anything all night
Where you can go:
- The mines Storage building to investigate the crime scene.
- The Merchants guild since they oversee the mines, including the storage building and keep records on all that have access to the mines.
- The Adventurers Guild to talk to the security guards currently detained.
- The Inn to see if any new comers have checked in.
- The Tavern to pick up general gossip.
- Outside of town ( the road, the forest, the stream, ect ).
- Any other outside of the box things, you can think of.
The mines Storage building to investigate the crime scene.
- Mage had to use a scroll, you can see the dust from the scroll on the ground with a Notice Roll.
- Anyone with Kn: Arcana can detect the magic in the area from the spell.
- Kn:Arcana check at the backdoor will detect magic in the area from the sleep spell.
- Looking at the area you see bootprints only. A successful tracking roll will let you know that whatever took the crates just walked up and picked them up. Also the bootprints imply that whatever was here was human sized. This means either very large men/magic or both. The Tracking roll will also lead you out the backdoor to cart tracks that lead outside of town on the main road.
The Merchants guild since they oversee the mines, including the storage building and keep records on all that have access to the mines.
- Successful Investigation roll shows a recent denial of membership to a mage named Gregor, who recently got out of prison. The mage cast a sleep spell in a bar and proceeded to rob it with some thugs. The application was submitted 1 week ago and denied 2 days ago.
The Adventurers Guild to talk to the security guards currently detained.
- the backdoor guards fell asleep on their shift via a mage sleep spell. However they don’t want to be fired so will deny it without a Persuasion roll -2, or an Intimidate/taunt roll at -4.
The Inn to see if any new comers have checked in.
- A robed man with 5 large associates checked into the in the week before, but hasn’t been seen since the previous day. A Persuasion roll (or bribe) will coax the innkeeper to give up his name. Gregor.
The Tavern to pick up general gossip.
- Gregor came into the Tavern 2 nights ago really upset and seemed to drink is sorrows. Most of the regulars remember him. The bartender and beerwench both remember him getting drunk and buying drinks for a group of rather large looking thugs.
- a Successful Streetwise roll will tell you that the thugs are known criminals in the area known for selling stolen property between towns. They usually stick to the smaller towns so that their size alone keeps the authorities at bay.
- Streetwise roll -2 will tell you someone overheard Gregor talking about getting back at the Merchants Guild for rejecting him.
Outside of town ( the road, the forest, the stream, ect ).
- Successful Tracking roll(-2) or a Notice(-4) will find the cabin: either track it there, or notice the small hunting path that is mostly grown over has fresh boot prints.
- Successful Tracking without the negative will lead you to follow the cart and miss the unloading. You will quickly catch up with one of the Thugs traveling with an empty cart.
Thug in a cart.
- If group doesn’t use stealth, Thug will attempt to run. Start a chase!
- If he is caught: He will claim he is just heading to town for supplies. However he is vague about what he needs as he isn’t that smart. Asking him for specifics will cause him to be dumbfounded. The players could then become more suspicious.
- If the group found out about the thugs in the tavern, he will match the description.
- If the group looks at the cart, a notice roll -2 will note scuff marks the same width as the crates.
The hideout/hunting Cabin
- Has Gregor and 4 thugs hiding out in it.
- The crates are hidden in a trap door weapons locker. Found on a Notice -2 roll.
- Stealth rolls would allow you to sneak up on the cabin without being noticed. (the thugs and Gregor think they got away clean and are just laying low)
- Failed Stealth rolls will cause the thugs to grab crossbows and look out the windows. They have Medium cover and will shoot in pairs while the other reloads.
- Sneaking up on the cabin allow players to enter and get a surprise round. (Note kicking in the door is an action however, as is crashing through a window, so MAP will apply)
- if the players can’t find the crates, if they have left anyone alive they can Intimidate, taunt -2, or persuade -2, them to tell them where the crates are. Failure and they will tell the group that the crates are on the cart. If they ask why the cart looked lighter, Gregor will say he cast a spell to throw off any would be trackers.
What actually happened:
- Mage used obscure to make the area seem unnoticed while the team worked.
- Mage then used boost trait to increase his teams strength to pick up the crates and move them out
- Crew loaded up the crates on a cart out the backdoor of the building.
- Crew has taken the cart about 3 miles outside of town and hidden in an abandon hunters cabin.
- After the group unloaded, one of the Thugs continued with the cart towards town to throw off tracking.
Weapons: ShortSword Str+d6, Crossbow: 2d6(2)
Parry: 6, Toughness: 5
Skills: Spellcasting:d8, Fighting:d4
Spells: Boost/Lower Trait, Burst(2d10,agility-2), Deflection(-2/-4raise to hit)
Weapons: Staff: Str+d4
Parry: 5(1), Toughness: 5